Davidson are delighted to be working in partnership with Cumberland Council on this key appointment.
About the Council
As a newly formed Council, Cumberland wants to build a clear and progressive vision for the future. Council's new long-term Community Strategic Plan will focus on a commitment to social and cultural cohesion, the local economy, our natural and built environments, and local leadership. This plan was facilitated by Council, but is completely owned by the whole Cumberland community, and was formed from the input of around 2,500 residents, businesses, community groups and other keys stakeholders.
Council has approximately 920 employees, responsible for maintaining recreational spaces, delivering programs that enhance community life, ensuring our streets are clean, delivering public health programs, formulating urban planning strategies and instruments, processing development applications and providing education and care services for our community.
About the Role
The focus of the Senior Strategic Planner is to prepare and update the strategic planning framework for Cumberland, as well as responding to the metropolitan and district planning priorities. In addition to preparing key local land use studies and policies, the Senior Strategic Planner will assess a high volume of complex planning proposals, which reflect the current growth and change occurring within Cumberland. As a Senior member of the team, they will be expected to lead by example.
The principal responsibilities are:
Urban Planning and Plan Preparation
- Assess and prepare planning proposals
- Prepare and implement strategic land use planning studies
- Provide high level technical advice to the Team Leaders/Coordinators, Managers of Strategic Planning and Development Assessment Teams
- Provide high level project management and coordination of strategic planning and land use studies, strategies, proposals and consultancies and take responsibility for tasks and outcomes to ensure that work is completed to a high standard within established timeframes
- Engage and coordinate the consultants in the preparation of technical studies and reviews, including infrastructure and facilities, to achieve objectives with timeframes and budget.
- Fulfil the legislative requirements of the LEP plan making and development control plan processes in a timely manner
Communication and Consultation
- Prepare council reports, correspondence and presentations to ensure effective communication and information
- Engage with team and other relavent sections of council to achieve innovative and well-rounded solutions to complex planning matters
- Assist with the maintenance of councils databases and other administrative duties as required.
- Degree in Town Planning (or equivalent), with eligibility for membership of the Planning Institute of Australia (PIA)
- Experience in urban planning, particularly the assessment and preparation of planning proposals, and demonstrated experience in application of NSW planning and associated legislation.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and apply strategic planning knowledge to identify appropriate processes and techniques to solve challenging problems.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to manage a number of complex projects with multiple stakeholders
It would also be desirable to have a current drivers license, understanding of land economics, experience in heritage/infrastructure and urban design frameworks.
This job offers a highly competitive salary, a leaseback vehicle and a great opportunity for work life balance with 70 hour fortnights.
In this job you get to work in a fast paced and rapidly growing environment where you will have a lot of responsibility and an opportunity to really make a difference in the strategic development within Cumberland Council. For the right candidate, we offer a great role with inspiring colleagues in a large, thriving council. We offer opportunities for additional training, mentorship and career progression.
Not quite right? We also have opportunities available from mid-level up to director level. Whether your expertise lies in road, rail, transport, development, design, maintenance or asset management we have a selection of roles in both public and private sector available for you.
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Kat Fry on 02 8093 0629 or Gareth Broadrick on 02 8093 0629, quoting ref no. JO-1806-89828. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com