Davidson are delighted to be working in partnership with Cumberland Council on this key appointment.
About the Council
As a newly formed Council, Cumberland wants to build a clear and progressive vision for the future. Council's new long-term Community Strategic Plan will focus on a commitment to social and cultural cohesion, the local economy, our natural and built environments, and local leadership. This plan was facilitated by Council, but is completely owned by the whole Cumberland community, and was formed from the input of around 2,500 residents, businesses, community groups and other keys stakeholders.
Council has approximately 920 employees, responsible for maintaining recreational spaces, delivering programs that enhance community life, ensuring our streets are clean, delivering public health programs, formulating urban planning strategies and instruments, processing development applications and providing education and care services for our community.
About the Role
Assessment of a wide range of statutory planning applications, pre-lodgement applications, signing of consents under delegated authority, preparation of planning and development assessment reports, where required participate in preliminary assessment of lodged applications with other assessment staff, provide technical comments on referrals
from other sections within and outside the department and other statutory authorities, mentoring junior staff, attendance to Planning Panel meetings, CIHAP meetings and Land & Environment Court matters.
On top of relevant tertiary qualifications (e.g. town planning) the succesful candidate will have:
- Extensive practical experience in development assessment under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act including assessment of highly complex development matters.
- Sound practical understanding of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act,and other relevant legislation and regulations.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent negotiation and presentation skills.
- Superior ability to resolve complex planning issues with applicants for development and excellent customer service skills.
- Class C Driver's Licence
It would also be desirable to have:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Local Government computer systems
- Familiarity with the Building Code of Australia
- Experience presenting to Planning Panels
- Supervisory and organisational experience within local government.
A highly compeititve salary, a leaseback vehicle and a great opportunity for work life balance with 70 hour fortnights.
In this job you get to work in a fast paced and rapidly growing environment where you will have a lot of responsibility and an opportunity to really make a difference in the strategic development within Cumberland Council. For the right candidate, we offer a great role with inspiring colleagues in a large, thriving council. We offer opportunities for additional training, mentorship and career progression.
Not quite right? We also have opportunities available from mid-level up to director level. Whether your expertise lies in road, rail, transport, development, design, maintenance or asset management we have a selection of roles in both public and private sector available for you.
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Katherine Fry on 02 8093 0629, quoting ref no. JO-1806-89832. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com