The Urban Development Institute of Australia is the peak membership body for the urban development sector. Working closely with state and local government decision - makers the UDIA gives the industry a vision on the issues that matter and advocates for positive policy reform. UDIA's central purpose is to advocate for increased certainty, reduced costs and reduced regulatory burden to all stakeholders in the land development process.
The Victorian division, UDIA Victoria, has over 320 member companies. UDIA's purpose is to represent the views, wants and needs of these organisations and of their customers who are everyday Victorian housing owners, aspiring homebuyers, renters and our most vulnerable residents including those eligible for social and affordable housing. A primary aspect of our role is to educate and engage government and the urban development sector on all issues affecting new residential property, particularly pertaining to affordability and liveability.
Through our policy and advocacy activities, we advise and collaborate with policy-makers on how to tackle urban planning and housing issues. While government officials often bring a high degree of theoretical expertise to the policy-making process, UDIA Victoria offers insight from the industry working on-the-ground to deliver housing across the state. This enables UDIA Victoria to bring practical solutions to the table that translate into tangible and positive outcomes for current and future communities.
As Policy Advisor reporting to the CEO and Director Policy and Research your,
Key responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the delivery of UDIA Victoria's Advocacy Agenda.
- Contribute to strategic advocacy activities that advance UDIA's Advocacy Agenda, build the UDIA's influence and enhance the UDIA's reputation.
- Liaise with government stakeholders, key regulators and other policy makers to advance UDIA's Advocacy Agenda and build positive working relationships.
- Actively harness the knowledge, expertise and experience of members, industry professionals and other stakeholders to inform UDIA Victoria's policy positions and responses to government.
- Support, brief and inform the CEO directly and work collaboratively with the CEO on policy, government relations issues and advocacy activities impacting the urban development industry.
- Coordinate, prepare and draft submissions to government as well as other material articulating UDIA's position on relevant issues.
Statement of Duties:
Works with the CEO, Advocacy Team, Policy Committees, internal staff and other UDIA offices to:
- Coordinate the delivery of key planks of UDIA Victoria's advocacy agenda and other key priority issues
- Coordinate Policy Committees to understand the policy issues that are relevant to the membership and ensure events and member communications are used as the medium through which to educate members and keep them informed of changes at a policy level. Specifically provide secretariat and policy support to the:
- Planning Committee
- Greenfield Development Committee
- Innovation, Sustainability and Technology Committee
- Northern Regional Chapter (Bendigo)
- Geelong Regional Chapter
- Coordinate and draft submissions to all levels of government
- Draft position papers on key issues
- Contribute to advocacy campaigns
- Contribute to policy work undertaken by UDIA National
- Provide policy background and information for media activities, speeches and other activities undertaken by the CEO
- Manage policy related correspondence to government, industry members and other key stakeholders
- Represent the UDIA on government and private sector working groups and engage directly with government as required and as directed by the Policy and Research Director and CEO
- Deliver policy related content for the UDIA's commercial activities including for events, communications and member engagement initiatives
- Support the Industry Engagement Team to develop and deliver policy related events, by assisting with content ideas, program development, event objectives, speaker suggestions, speaker invitations, session briefs, speaker briefs and marketing copy
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated understanding of the urban development industry
- A self-driven, motivated individual highly capable of coordinating, managing priorities and time and delivering outcomes
- The ability to develop an informed position on complex matters
- Demonstrated ability to effect change in policy, attitude, and approach
- Demonstrated high level verbal and written communication and negotiation skills, including the ability to influence and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders
- Initiative and the ability to collaborate within a team
- Tertiary qualification in urban planning, policy, property development or other field relevant to the urban development industry
- Experience in a peak body or advocacy related setting
- Understanding of Victoria's planning and building systems or experience in a construction industry setting
- Understanding of property development economics
To apply for this exciting role click the "apply now" button and upload your resume. For further information or a confidential discussion, please contact Natasha Diamond on (03) 9929 9556 or, for a detailed Position Description please email Olivia.OShea@davidsonwp.com