Davidson are delighted to be working in partnership with Cumberland Council on this key appointment.
About the Council
As a newly formed Council, Cumberland wants to build a clear and progressive vision for the future. Council's new long-term Community Strategic Plan will focus on a commitment to social and cultural cohesion, the local economy, our natural and built environments, and local leadership. This plan was facilitated by Council, but is completely owned by the whole Cumberland community, and was formed from the input of around 2,500 residents, businesses, community groups and other keys stakeholders.
Council has approximately 920 employees, responsible for maintaining recreational spaces, delivering programs that enhance community life, ensuring our streets are clean, delivering public health programs, formulating urban planning strategies and instruments, processing development applications and providing education and care services for our community.
About the Role
As a Team Leader for Urban Planning, the main responsibilities include:
Developing and managing strategic planning projects
- Coordinate land use planning studies, preparation of strategic planning policy and submissions.
- Prepare comprehensive Local Environmental Plans and Development Control Plans (including amendments), and section 94 plans.
- Promote teamwork, collaboration and a highly positive team culture, which strongly embodies Council's vision and values.
- Actively foster an environment that encourages excellent individual and team performance.
- Ensure work is undertaken according to established work plans and to the required standards.
- Allocate work to team members in an efficient, fair and equitable manner.
- Represent Council and Council's position at external forums, working groups and committees.
- Act in the capacity of Manager of Strategic Planning, if required.
- Provide updates on any legislation changes to the Strategic Planning team.
- Ensure that Council's section 149 Planning Certificates are up to date and accurate.
- Coordinate input for briefings as directed by the Manager Strategic Planning and the Group Manager Planning.
- Accurately and timely reporting on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis.
The succesful applicant will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in town planning (or equivalent), recognised by the Planning Institute of Australia.
- Comprehensive experience in Strategic Planning (minimum 5 years) at a senior level.
- Demonstrated thorough understanding of NSW planning and related legislation and its implementation.
- Astute political awareness and demonstrated ability to exercise judgment of a high order.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to build strategic partnerships with public and private sector organisations.
- Excellent customer service skills and demonstrated ability to work in, and effectively contribute to, a positive team environment.
It would also be desirable for the applicant to have a current drivers license, previous experience as a team lader, experience within state/local government and experience working with budgets.
On top of a highly compeititve salary, a leaseback vehicle and a great opportunity for work life balance with 70 hour fortnights.
In this job you get to work in a fast paced and rapidly growing environment where you will have a lot of responsibility and an opportunity to really make a difference in the strategic development within Cumberland Council. For the right candidate, we offer a great role with inspiring colleagues in a large, thriving council. We offer opportunities for additional training, mentorship and career progression.
Not quite right? We also have opportunities available from mid-level up to director level. Whether your expertise lies in road, rail, transport, development, design, maintenance or asset management we have a selection of roles in both public and private sector available for you.
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Kat Fry on 02 8093 0629 or Gareth Broadrick on 02 8093 0600, quoting ref no. JO-1806-89826. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com