This is a 12 month parental leave contract.
About Cumberland Council
Cumberland is one of the most culturally diverse and vibrant local government areas (LGA) in NSW. Approximately 220,000 residents have chosen to live here, making it also one of the most populous LGAs in NSW. Located in the geographical heart of Sydney, Cumberland is also the epicentre of modern multicultural Australia. With nearly half (48%) of all residents born overseas and almost a quarter (24%) having arrived in Australia in the last five years, the area is for many their first introduction to life in Australia. This is why it is so important that the community vision of "welcome, belong, succeed" is observed in practice. Council is determined that all its residents, businesses and visitors feel they are welcome, that people from any background or culture can belong, and where anyone through hard work and with the support of their community can succeed. Cumberland is also home to wide variety of green space. Residents and visitors have access to a variety of sports fields, natural bushland, botanic gardens and parks, all located right in the geographical heart of Sydney.
About the Role
The primary purpose of this role is to provide verbal and written response to planning and building enquiries, over the counter review and lodgement of development and building applications, review of fee quotes for complex development and building applications, development and building assessment support tasks and assessment of minor development applications.
On any given day, the successful candidates can expect to:
- To provide advice to potential applicants and assessing planning, building and related applications at lodgement to ensure they meet Council's lodgement requirements.
- Provide written and verbal advice to public, staff, etc. on land-use, Council policies and procedures and planning and building legislation.
- To liaise with staff within and outside of the immediate Department as the need arises in relation to planning and building matters.
- Assessment and processing of routine Development Applications, as required, including the provision of technical comments and conditions.
- Processing and management of Operative Consent requests.
- Assist with development and implementation of policy and procedures relative to the Development and Building Team.
- To ensure that there is reasonable provision and contribution to Department/Section work plans as required. To ensure that work is undertaken within/according to established work plans.
This role reports directly to the Coordinator of Development Advisory Services.
The successful candidates will have:
- Enrolled or completed a Degree in Town Planning, building studies or equivalent.
- Working level of knowledge and skills in areas of regulatory planning and building matters.
- Class C Drivers Licence.
- Familiarity and awareness of the Development and Building Assessment process.
- Working knowledge of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979, Local Government Act 1993 and related Legislation.
- Ability to meet deadlines on a daily basis with possession of excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of the business of Local Government and the roles of other
- Government Departments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for effective communication and conflict resolution/mediation and negotiation.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a safe work environment and apply EEO/Anti-discrimination principles across all activities within Development Assessment Section.
- Computer literacy skills and ability to operate computer based systems.
- Tertiary qualifications in urban planning, building studies, related field or equivalent.
- Experience in the assessment of planning and building applications.
- Working knowledge of the Building Code of Australia.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- A minimum of 1-2 years' experience in development/building assessment and/or working in a local government planning/development department.
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible working arrangements
- Leave provisions include 3 weeks sick/carers leave and 4 weeks annual leave per year
- Health and wellbeing programs
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Gareth Broadrick or Kat Fry - firstname.lastname@example.org . Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com