About Cumberland Council
Cumberland is one of the most culturally diverse and vibrant local government areas (LGA) in NSW. Approximately 220,000 residents have chosen to live here, making it also one of the most populous LGAs in NSW. Located in the geographical heart of Sydney, Cumberland is also the epicentre of modern multicultural Australia. With nearly half (48%) of all residents born overseas and almost a quarter (24%) having arrived in Australia in the last five years, the area is for many their first introduction to life in Australia. This is why it is so important that the community vision of "welcome, belong, succeed" is observed in practice. Council is determined that all its residents, businesses and visitors feel they are welcome, that people from any background or culture can belong, and where anyone through hard work and with the support of their community can succeed. Cumberland is also home to wide variety of green space. Residents and visitors have access to a variety of sports fields, natural bushland, botanic gardens and parks, all located right in the geographical heart of Sydney.
About the Role
The primary purpose of this role is to perform assessment and processing of statutory planning applications including provision of technical comments and conditions, pre-lodgement applications, preparation of planning and development assessment reports.
On any given day, the successful candidates can expect to carry out:
- Assessment and processing of Development Applications including the provision of technical comments and conditions.
- Coordination of legal/court matters arising from the development assessment process and/or compliance matters.
- Exercise the statutory powers, duties, responsibilities and delegations associated with the position.
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Development Assessment Team Coordinators, Executive Manager Development and Building or Director Environment and Planning.
- Attend and provide written and verbal advice to public, staff, etc., regarding land-use, Council policy and procedure and planning legislation in a timely manner.
- To promote Cumberland City Council to the local community and the wider planning and local government environment.
- Assess pre-lodgement applications and provide advice to applicants in accordance with Council's pre-lodgement services.
- Provide planning comments on construction certificate, complying development certificate and building information certificate applications.
This role reports directly to the Coordinator of Development Assessment.
The successful candidates will have:
- Degree in Town Planning or equivalent with eligibility for membership to the Planning Institute of Australia.
- Development assessment experience in local government with demonstrated understanding of the relevant legislations.
- Class C Driver's Licence.
- An understanding of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, Local Government Act and other relevant legislation.
- Demonstrated ability, to communicate effectively with management and staff at all levels of the organisation and with external contacts.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Well-developed written and communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines on a daily basis with possession of excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated understanding and commitments to WHS and EEO principles across all activities within the organisation.
- Familiarity with the Building Code of Australia and the Australian Standards applicable to development and design.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Land & Environment Court proceedings.
- Competitive salary.
- Motor vehicle allowance of $10,000 per year on a pro rata basis
- Work mobile phone.
- Flexible working arrangements
- Leave provisions include 3 weeks sick/carers leave and 4 weeks annual leave per year
- Health and wellbeing programs
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Gareth Broadrick or Kat Fry - firstname.lastname@example.org . Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com