|Posted||10 days ago|
The Department of Education & Training (DET) brings together a range of services for Victorian children, young people and adults - including early childhood development, school education from Prep to Year 12 right through to higher education and skills. With a vision for Victoria as the Education State, government is investing significantly and focusing on educational excellence, equity and the opportunity to engage in lifelong learning.
The School Education Programs and Support Group (SEPS) has a lead responsibility to shape the Victorian school system to provide every student with knowledge and capabilities and to ensure it fosters development and wellbeing, that equips children and young people for the 21st century world in which they live.
The Deputy Secretary, SEPS is a pivotal leadership role for the Department to ensure ongoing improvements for students, schools and communities and, to provide strategic direction in building an education system that produces excellence and reduces the impact of disadvantage.
SEPS leads policy development and program design to ensure improved educational and wellbeing outcomes and that all students, regardless of their background, are engaged and active learners. SEPS leads a diverse range of responsibilities which include:
- ensuring high standards for curriculum, pedagogy, assessment and reporting
- leading the Department's efforts to improve and reform child and learner wellbeing, health and engagement and enhance service delivery
- leading the improvement of educational and wellbeing outcomes for children and young people with disability and additional needs
- leading Koorie education, engagement and workforce matters, including corporate inclusion
- ensuring that all learners have the skills to be interconnected, active and informed global citizens in a modern world
- shaping initiatives that better engage disadvantaged or at-risk students and leading programs with this focus on vulnerable cohorts, including Koorie, students with disability, EAL and new arrivals, and rural and regional students
- partnering with education sector stakeholders to help shape the schooling system to be responsive, effective and streamlined to deliver for all children and young people, including key relationships with the non-government school sectors
The Deputy Secretary collaborates closely with the Schools and Regional Services group to ensure policy and program design can transition seamlessly to implementation in government schools, with the Schools and Regional Services group, including regions, as lead delivery partner.
Reporting to the Secretary and being an active contributor at the DET Executive Board, you will effectively lead the SEPS Group providing vision and direction to nearly 400 staff. The role will work in close collaboration and partnership with other parts of the Department, statutory authorities, service delivery partners, parents and families in ensuring to drive improved professional practice and monitor and assure the quality of services. Through investing in the team you will lift capability of the group and focus heavily on building trust and credibility with Ministerial offices, and stakeholders across the sector.
A well respected executive within the public sector, you bring proven experience in working closely with Ministers and ideally demonstrate a strong working knowledge of social policy portfolios, possibly education. Known for your ability to build and lead high performing teams, you promote accountability and have a successful track record leading transformation, change and improvement projects and initiatives. You regard your political acumen, strategic approach and interpersonal skills as key strengths and enjoy the challenges and rewards which come from leading a high profile portfolio within the public sector. As part of a high performing leadership team, this is an opportunity not to be missed in Victoria.
To apply, please visit www.davidsonexecutive.com.au and upload your resume. For a confidential discussion, please contact Jarrod McLauchlan on 0407 808 517 or Vanessa Huxley 0417 708 112 from Davidson Executive.
Department of Education and Training is committed to diversity. The Department places considerable effort and resources into responding to the needs of staff with a disability. People from disadvantaged groups are encouraged to apply for this position. If you require assistance, with the recruitment process, have accessibility or adjustment requirements, please communicate with the contact Davidson Executive.