|Posted||19 days ago|
The Muswellbrook Shire is a Shire of contrasts; picturesque dairy farms, world class thoroughbred horse studs, vineyards and olive farms all sitting beside big machinery and big mines. A fabulous place to live, work & play and only 2.5 hours' drive to Sydney. Muswellbrook is a place of the future.
Primary Purpose of the Position
The role will be required to oversee the legal aspects of Council's business to represent and protect Council's legal interests by guaranteeing that Council strictly follows law guidelines and give effective and accurate legal advice to management about all relevant legal issues. The role will be required to effectively ensure legal conformity and minimise risk of exposure.
The Corporate Lawyer must remain independent of the various lines of business and management team of the Council to ensure that the legal advice and services he or she provides is sufficiently objective and impartial and to comply with his or her professional obligations as a lawyer.
- Provide detailed, timely and accurate legal advice to Management, Council and other council business units in areas of legal practice such as:
- Planning and Environment Law;
- Property Law;
- Commercial Law;
- Local Government Law;
- Exercise and apply independent critical thought in the provision of impartial, frank, and fearless legal advice and representation.
- Maintain a sound and current knowledge of the legislative framework relevant to Council activities, including the ability to interpret and apply legislation.
- Provide, with a high degree of autonomy, a complete range of professional legal services necessary to support the regulatory and business activities of Council.
- Work closely with business units to ensure they are informed of new or proposed legislation, regulation or the like in relevant areas of law which may affect Council's activities.
- Represent where appropriate Council as an advocate in proceedings before courts and tribunals, including but not limited to: the Land & Environment, Local, District, Supreme and Federal Courts, and the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
- Assist in the identification of legal risk to the organisation and contribute to the implementation of risk mitigation strategies.
- Manage the engagement and delivery of external legal services where appropriate.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement including the improvement of the delivery of legal services.
Qualifications and Other Skills
- Degree qualification in Law from a recognised tertiary institution.
- Admission as a Lawyer of the Supreme Court of New South Wales (or equivalent), with a minimum 2 years post-admission experience
- Current unrestricted NSW Practicing Certificate or eligibility to hold an unrestricted Practicing Certificate in NSW
- Experience in Court attendance and knowledge of Court protocol and procedure generally.
- Extensive knowledge in the following areas of law:
- Planning & Environment
- Local Government
- Industrial Relations; and
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, sound judgement, discretion and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated understanding of the complexity of Local Government and the landscape in which Council operates, as well as the Local Government Act 1993 and Environment Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (and subordinate legislation made under each) (desirable).
- Class "C" Driver's Licence.
This is a fabulous opportunity for a suitably qualified legal professional in a beautiful part of the world.
Closing date 12th January 2021.
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Gareth Broadrick on 0402 639 431, quoting ref no. JO-2012-102234. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com