About the Company
Whitehaven Coal is the leading Australian producer of high-efficiency, low emissions coal, and the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We operate six mines in the Gunnedah Basin in North West New South Wales and have developed a reputation for excellence in operations, project delivery and safe and efficient operations. We are proudly local and employ locally-based employees where possible.
Whitehaven is an ASX100 company committed to recruiting, retaining, and investing in a modern and diverse workforce, which values teamwork, respect and recognition. We are an equal opportunity employer and provide a healthy, smoke-free workplace.
About the Area
Gunnedah is the hub of one of Australia's richest agricultural regions - the Liverpool Plains in North West New South Wales - and is located on the Kamilaroi and Oxley Highways. Gunnedah has a great variety of shopping, dining and entertainment venues. Residents and visitors will appreciate the variety of great cuisine that the local restaurants, pubs, clubs and takeaway venues have to offer.
You will marvel at the beauty of the district and enjoy the hospitality and comfort that only the local people can offer. Genuine smiles and the natural beauty of the landscape paint a picture of real country Australia.
Find out more about Whitehaven Coal Life by visiting https://www.whitehavencoal.life
The Role - Health & Safety Officer/Coordinator
As a Health and Safety Officer, you will be required to provide internal client services to key stakeholders coupled with core safety support to drive the team’s key performance indicators. In this pivotal role, you will deliver streamlined specialist services throughout the business by developing and implementing core safety procedures and monitoring key performance measures and emerging trends. You will be required to complete core activities in accordance with corporate policies and procedures.
In this role, you will assist in the development and maintenance of the site Safety and Health Management system (SHMS) to ensure compliance is in line with legislative and Whitehaven Coal requirements. You will work closely with front line leaders to provide advice in all aspects of health and safety and encourage a proactive safety leadership culture across site.
You will be reporting directly to the Health and Safety Superintendent.
Your core accountabilities will be:
- Developing, reviewing and ensuring compliance to core procedures
- Completing incident investigations and providing information to senior leaders
- Conducting system audits to monitor performance
- Coordinating and assisting with risk assessment and hazard management processes
- Assisting in the review of safety performance and innovation strategies for improvement
- Building and developing relationships with employees and stakeholders
To be successful within this role you will need relevant tertiary qualification in the Health and/or Safety discipline and have demonstrated previous health and safety experience working within mining or heavy industry.
We are also looking for the below key skills and characteristics:
- A person willing to work within a small dedicated team
- Be able to engage with site personnel across all levels
- Willing to spend a significant portion of their time out of the office reinforcing safety expectations
- Excellent communication skills (both to a group and individually)
- Proficient in MS office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- 3-5 years experience in a Safety role in Underground Mining or relevant Mining experience
- Experience conducting document reviews, risk assessments and completing incident investigations
- Experience dealing with and managing contractors.
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Kat Fry on 02 8093 0629, quoting ref no. JO-1908-97154. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com