|Posted||1 day ago|
Gunnedah Shire is one of Australia’s richest agricultural regions and a vibrant, warm and friendly town surrounded by the expansive Liverpool Plains and framed by the Nandewar. It is an incredibly safe and welcoming place to live and raise a family away from the rat race. Gunnedah has a great variety of shopping, dining and entertainment venues with both visitors and residents appreciating a variety of great cuisine and lifestyle that the local restaurants, pubs, clubs and takeaway venues have to offer.
Gunnedah is a centre for a number of regional industries exporting to overseas markets including grain production, cotton processing, animal feed production, brick manufacturing, leather processing and coal mining. This, alongside a thriving commercial and retail service sector ensure that Gunnedah has a diverse and skilled employment base within the Shire.
With Growth projected throughout the next decade, this is an exciting time for council as they support the community through this period of change. If you are looking for a new exciting challenge coupled with a work/life balance and fantastic lifestyle, this opportunity could be for you.
About the role
A role specific brochure can be find below:
Reporting into the Manager Waste and managing 7 waste attendants and 1 waste officer, you will be responsible for Developing and Operating Councils waste management facilities, rural landfills and transfer facilities to the relevant legislative standard.
- To provide clear direction to, and efficient management of staff under this position’s control;
- Operate the Gunnedah Waste Management Facility, Rural Landfills and Transfer Facilities within budgetary constraints;
- To exercise all delegated functions, duties and responsibilities as well as implement without delay any decisions and/or directives flowing from management decisions on waste related matters;
- To ensure compliance with waste management and environmental legislation, statutory licences, relevant Council policies, strategies and plans in the delivery of waste objectives, projects and tasks;
- To implement safety standards at all worksites under this position’s control as required by Council policies, procedures and the WH&S Act and associated regulations. This position will be responsible for the supervision of employees, ensuring that all tasks are completed safely and meet or exceed the requirements. Responsibility will also include ensuring that all prestart, post run, and minor day to day maintenance tasks are carried out on all equipment; and
- Assisting with the planning, allocation and monitoring of work in accordance with Council standards and agreements.
- Deliver the maintenance and construction works budget under this positions control
- Conformance to the approved budget and the day-to-day delivery of the weekly waste management program
- Through the Manager Waste provide reports on compliance with statutory and licensing requirements, service delivery, works programs and budget control as required
- Develop effective work teams with clearly defined supervisory structures, work objectives and outcomes, including:
- Ensure initial inductions for teams on plans, objectives and achievements.
- Monitor worksites through regular site inspection and team meetings.
- Accurate and timely handling of all grievances and disciplinary issues.
- Promoting ownership and pride in the organisation through leadership, on the job training, delegation, recognition and fairness
- Ensure all work is conducted to Work Cover NSW standards and Council policy by qualified experienced staff. All work programs are to include a safety plan
- Ensure comprehensive risk management practises are in place within the Waste Management Team, are adhered to and are being regularly monitored
- Participate in the recruitment, training and assessment processes
- Conduct investigations for all incidents, accidents and near misses and implement appropriate corrective actions
- Evaluate and resolve any operational issues, seeking and implementing alternative solutions where appropriate
- Organise rosters and resources ensuring all employees are accomplished, and labour costs are maintained within budgeted levels.
- Experience in waste or related environmental discipline.
- Class 1C Drivers Licence.
- Demonstrated skills in successful people and project management.
- Demonstrated decision-making skills.
- Sound literacy and numeracy skills together with basic computer skills.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing workplace safety, quality systems and environmental assessment.
- Ability to identify unsafe situations and hazards, problem solve and report accordingly.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, together with the ability to develop and maintain team based operation without supervision.
- Qualifications in Environmental/Natural Resource or Waste Management.
- Understanding of legislative requirements for Waste Management Operations.
- Current First Aid Certificate.
- Current Truck MR Licence.
- Cash handling experience with the ability to keep accurate records.
Gunnedah is a hidden Gem. Experience all of the advantages of city living couples with a real work life balance. Huge Career within Council and the chance to be part of and future of the community.
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Amy Frew on 02 8093 0615, quoting ref no. JO-1908-97028. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com