|Posted||16 days ago|
Gunnedah Shire is one of Australia’s richest agricultural regions and a vibrant, warm and friendly town surrounded by the expansive Liverpool Plains and framed by the Nandewar. It is an incredibly safe and welcoming place to live and raise a family away from the rat race. Gunnedah has a great variety of shopping, dining and entertainment venues with both visitors and residents appreciating a variety of great cuisine and lifestyle that the local restaurants, pubs, clubs and takeaway venues have to offer.
Gunnedah is a centre for a number of regional industries exporting to overseas markets including grain production, cotton processing, animal feed production, brick manufacturing, leather processing and coal mining. This, alongside a thriving commercial and retail service sector ensure that Gunnedah has a diverse and skilled employment base within the Shire.
With Growth projected throughout the next decade, this is an exciting time for council as they support the community through this period of change. If you are looking for a new exciting challenge coupled with a work/life balance and fantastic lifestyle, this opportunity could be for you.
About the role
A role specific brochure can be found here: https://online.flowpaper.com/7964073d/Gunnedahsuccessprofileseniortownplanner/
- Develop, implement and review strategic land use strategies, planning instruments, such as Local Environmental Plans and Development Control Plans, and other policy documents according to relevant legislation and in line with Council’s strategic direction.
- Co-ordinate environmental, strategic planning and civic image projects to achieve completion of works in accordance with the adopted strategic and operational plans, including project budget.
- Prepare and give expert evidence in relation to matters before the Land and Environment Court of NSW.
- Implement and monitor floodplain management policies and programs.
- Assist with the preparation of planning initiatives to encourage economic development.
- Represent Council in negotiations with stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a strong customer focus which is accurate, responsive, timely and courteous.
- Participate in the review, development and improvement of work systems and practices to enhance customer service and meet customer needs.
- Communicate and liaise with key agencies and stakeholders including State Government agencies, peak groups, special interest groups and industry associations.
Policy and Procedures
- Prepare Section 10.7 Planning Certificates (when required).
- Utilise Council’s electronic systems, including records management, applications and GIS.
- Process more complex and contentious development applications and preparation of documentation.
- Guide, assist and provide support to the team to build capacity and best practice in the efficient and quality processing of development assessment.
- Attend relevant Council, Government agency and Committee meetings as required.
- Act in position of Manager Development and Planning as required.
- Promote the positive and collaborative culture and values of the organisation through open fair and transparent decision making and ethical, professional behaviour.
- Flexibly respond to organisational requests for urgent work.
- Represent Council at relevant professional networks and seminars.
- Other relevant duties which may be required by the Manager or Director from time to time.
- Degree in Urban and Regional Planning or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience in the application of NSW planning and associated legislation, with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in strategic planning.
- Proven ability to manage a number of complex projects with multiple stakeholders simultaneously, on time, within budget and in response to competing pressures.
- Ability to think strategically and apply strategic planning knowledge to identify appropriate processes and techniques to solve challenging problems.
- Excellent communication skills, including excellent written communication and presentation skills, and ability to effectively tailor communication on planning to different audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and engage with a wide range of people – both internally and externally, to determine stakeholder issues and explain complex planning issues and concepts.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in, and effectively contribute to, a positive team environment.
- Understanding and ability to apply WHS, Risk Management and Equal Employment Opportunity principles.
- Class C Driver’s license.
Gunnedah is a hidden Gem. Experience all of the advantages of city living couples with a real work life balance. Huge Career Opportunities within Council and the chance to be part of and future of the community.
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Amy Frew on 02 8093 0615, quoting ref no. JO-1905-95689. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com