About the Company
Located in the Southern Highlands, Wingecarribee Shire Council is unrivalled in its lifestyle offerings. Surrounded by rolling mountains and lakes, and within driving distance to Sydney, Canberra, the South Coast and the Illawarra region. This local government organisation is well known for its inclusive and safe work environment, with plenty of in house resources presenting exciting opportunities for both personal and professional development. The main towns are:
- Moss Vale (Council offices located here)
Please follow the below link to the full Applicant Brochure:
About the Role
The Manager -Development Assessment is responsible for actively co-ordinating the three main business functions,
- Statutory assessment of Tree and Vegetation Management on private land throughout the Local Government Area.
- Statutory Development Assessment of multi residential development, Commercial and Industrial Development and Subdivisions.
- Civil and hydraulic (water and sewer) development engineering including civil certification associated with development projects.
The key responsibilities include:
- Manage assigned resources in order to achieve Council’s service delivery commitments associated with Town Planners, Development Engineers and Tree/Vegetation Management
- Management of the development assessment services with an emphasis on change management and development of existing practices, policies and procedures to achieve efficiency and best practice
- Assist the Group Manager to drive commitment to a business transformation program.
- Manage the Development Assessment Section to process applications under the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 and Regulations and applications under the Local Government Act 1993 and Regulations
- Provide active leadership, mentoring and coaching to members of the Development Assessment team and broader Planning Development and Regulatory Services branch.
- Management of staff resources (including performance of staff) ensuring performance is matched to the objectives of the adopted Business Plan. Where required institute performance management plans to engage staff in performance improvement and take/institute disciplinary proceedings where required. Implement Councils adopted policies to ensure staff are fully aware of the required performance standards and expectations.
- Attend Court proceedings of suitable jurisdiction in order to represent the Council in Planning, Certification and Compliance matters as an expert witness.
- Manage and report on the status of applications including provision of reports on applications that exceed the statutory determination period and implement strategies in order to reduce determination times whilst maintaining attention to detail, statutory compliance and desirable planning objective outcomes.
The successful candidate will be integral in providing strong and engaging leadership to technical staff within the Planning, Development and Regulatory Services Branch. This role reports into the Group Manager of Planning and has 10, full time, direct reports.
To be successful in this role you will need tertiary qualifications in Town Planning or equivalent, demonstrated technical knowledge relating to Development Assessment and minimum 7 years’ experience in a senior, managerial position.
It is also integral to have:
- Proven leadership with business transformation.
- Financial management, including budget preparation and financial management plans.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong, professional relationships within the development industry.
- A demonstrated, strong and engaging leadership style.
- A current Australian Drivers License.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of operational and delivery plans in order to achieve Councils commitments to the Community Strategic Plan in accordance with the Integrated Planning and Reporting framework.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of relevant statutory frameworks including technical standards relating to Development Assessment, Civil Works Certification and Tree and Vegetation Management. Proven comprehensive experience in the assessment of complex applications in a variety of scenarios including residential, commercial and industrial contexts.
It is also highly desirable to have:
- A post graduate degree in business management/leadership.
- Possess Land and Environment Court Experience including carriage of matters on behalf of Council for both prosecuting and defence of actions and also expert witness experience.
- Experience in contract management and project management.
- High level experience with Microsoft suite, EMS and Corporate Systems.
An amazing opportunity to take on a senior management position within a growing NSW council
Other benefits include:
- 35-hour week.
- Flexibility with 19 day/4 week cycle.
- Job stability with a permanent, full time position.
- Lifestyle location in the beautiful Southern Highlands.
Closing Date: 25th August 2019
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact eithe Amy Frew on 02 8093 0600 / email@example.com or Liisa Olsson on 02 8093 0617 / firstname.lastname@example.org. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com