Join an exciting, rapidly growing organisation where you can further your career in planning! Located in the South East of Melbourne, this is an opportunity for you to work with a fantastic team in state of the art offices/facilities.
This is initially a 6 month contract role with a very attractive hourly rate, there may be some room for it to be casual/flexible (open to discussion).
About the Role
As the Strategic Projects Planner, you will have the following responsibilities:
Planning Scheme Amendments
- Investigate, inspect, report on and process a range of planning scheme amendment requests from internal or external parties, including more complex requests such as those involving a concurrent planning permit application.
- Facilitate community consultation processes, where required.
- Prepare panel submissions and, if required, represent Council before panel hearings.
- Coordinate the preparation of Section 173 Agreements under the Planning and Environment Act arising from planning scheme amendments.
- Contribute to the maintenance of, and provide advice and support to other departmental staff on the use of, Council’s planning scheme amendment tracking system and associated procedures.
- Manage strategic planning projects, which may include the development of briefs, coordination of consultants and community liaison.
- Contribute to the preparation, review and implementation in the Council's Planning Scheme of strategic plans and local planning policies for the development of the municipality.
- Contribute to the monitoring and review of the Council's Planning Scheme in order to satisfy statutory requirements, ensure it remains relevant and effective, and is consistent with State and local planning objectives.
- Contribute to the maintenance of all planning scheme-related information, including planning scheme maps/ordinance and incorporated documents, to ensure that the most up-to-date information is available for the use of departmental and other relevant Council staff.
- Assist, as required, with the assessment of gaming, liquor licensing and telecommunications matters under relevant legislation, including the provision of advice to the Executive and Council planning officers.
- Prepare draft Planning Committee and Council reports, and reports on matters delegated to officers, together with appropriate recommendations for consideration by the Team Leader and/or Manager City Planning.
- Contribute broadly to the effective administration of the wider team as required, including team meetings.
- Provide expert advice to internal and external stakeholders on the interpretation and application of planning scheme provisions and local policy requirements.
The successful person will require the following skills/qualifications:
- Ability to communicate clearly both face-to-face and by telephone.
- Ability to drive a vehicle in order to travel to Council buildings throughout the municipality, including areas where access to public transport is difficult or non-existent.
- Move freely over rough ground to conduct site inspections.
- Read fine print on plans and documents.
- Clearly distinguish colour codes used on plans.
- Degree or Diploma in Town Planning, Urban Studies, Urban Geography or other related discipline.
- Proven experience as a Town Planner, preferably with some local government experience.
- A qualification, experience or special interest in social planning, or a related discipline, is not essential but would be highly regarded.
- Excellent remuneration
- Flexible working- casual working if required
- Outstanding facilities/offices as your workspace
- Work closer to home- South east Melbourne
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Patrick Courtney on 0426896442, quoting ref no. JO-1903-94052. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com