Join a progressive inner Melbourne Council with urban character, a diverse work environment and a fantastic community spirit. You will be given the opportunity to develop both professionally and personally whilst planning and delivering a range of important services and programs to the community.
About the Role
- Actively assist, support and provide direction to other Traffic Engineers in the Transport Safety Engineering team, including on the job training and coaching.
- Liaise with all staff, Councillors and the community to resolve service user concerns and issues in a friendly manner within the Service Principles framework.
- Provide professional traffic engineering advice to Council and the local community, including report preparation, attendance at public meetings, liaison with other service authorities, agencies and resolution of community enquiries.
- Provision of internal advice on planning, building and street occupation applications.
- Investigation, development, consultation and concept design of traffic, place management treatments and capital works projects.
- Assistance with the management of the road safety program impacting on all road users.
- Carry out such duties, as directed, as are within the limits of the incumbent’s skill, competence and training.
- Council is committed to the environment and encourages officers to give consideration to achieving environmental objectives in all Council projects.
- Liaise with government departments to assess and develop robust project funding bids for consideration in State and Federal Government programs.
- Exercise personal judgment within agreed standards to respond to a service request on the same day it is received and to encourage/support other staff to do the same.
- Support the Coordinator Transport Safety Engineering in ensuring prompt, friendly and effective resolution of complex service issues raised by Councillors and members of the community.
- The management and development of a safe and well-connected transport system providing priority to transport modes in line with our Road User Hierarchy: walking, cycling, public transport, freight, multiple occupancy vehicles and single occupancy vehicles.
About You- The successful candidate will possess the following skills and abilities
- Advanced word processing skills and knowledge of a variety of software packages (Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Pathway and Crash Stats).
- Strategic and technical skills necessary to develop sustainable transport strategies.
- Ability to advise, report and make decisions on technical matters and liaise with other professionals as well as the public.
- Extensive knowledge of the traffic and parking management principles within the local government environment and current trends.
- Ability to lead traffic and parking management investigations.
- Sound financial management skills.
- A demonstrated ability to identify problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Consultative skills, sound knowledge of community involvement processes and appreciation of political context.
- Understanding of relevant road and traffic guidelines, standards, procedures and Government Act.
- Ability to work independently and support others in service delivery.
- Ability to organise, plan and set time-lines to achieve personal and organisational objectives.
- Ability to work under pressure, undertake and manage many tasks and duties concurrently and ensure that deadlines are met, often with competing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to provide on the job training for new and junior members of the team.
- Demonstrate initiative and seek guidance when necessary to achieve agreed team objectives.
- Understanding of and/or ability to implement human resource practices including EEO and OH&S, Training & Development, Performance Management.
- Senior sustainable traffic and transport engineering experience as well as tertiary qualifications in civil engineering.
- Experience of 5 years+ in traffic and parking management and sustainable transport.
- Demonstrated experience with planning, development and management of sustainable transport capital works that include development of concepts, draft and detail designs using AutoCAD, consultation with internal and external stakeholders, securing necessary permits and delivery of projects on time and within budget.
- Demonstrated experience in the delivery of a high level of customer service that reflects an understanding of the underlying principles embedded in Service Principles.
- Proven ability to work constructively, independently and as a member of a high performing team with an ability to share in each other’s success and failures.
- Demonstrated ability to manage challenging people and situations in a calm, respectful and rational manner.
- Ability to actively provide and promote service culture through personal leadership.
- Flexible working with a vibrant, progressive Metropolitan Municipality with excellent work/life balance
- Easily accessible via public transport
- Be part of an organisation that is fast becoming one of the 'coolest' council's in the greater Melbourne area
- Attractive salary on offer- Band 7
To apply, click the link and upload your current resume in Microsoft Word format only (.doc or .docx). If you would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Patrick Courtney on 03 9929 9537 or 0426 896 442, quoting ref no. JO-1902-93833. Want to know more about Davidson? Visit us at www.davidsonwp.com