As a team member of the Economic Advisory Unit, this is your opportunity to support the delivery of economic advice on key Government priorities to support the State’s economic development. This is a technical and applied economic role which requires the ability to problem solve, work at a fast pace and deliver regional economic analysis, industry and sectoral analysis, and economic modelling to support the Department’s priorities.
By joining the Queensland public sector, you will contribute to better outcomes for Queenslanders by implementing the policies, priorities, services or programs of the elected government.
At the Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning we’re driving the medium to long-term economic strategy for Queensland. The department has a diverse portfolio of economic functions that enable us to lead economic strategy, industry development, infrastructure and planning for the benefit of all Queenslanders.
Our vision is to develop a thriving and inclusive Queensland, where the economy, industry and communities prosper.
We will do this by:
- leading a coordinated and strategic approach to Queensland’s medium to long-term economic development
- attracting and stimulating investment in Queensland to grow the economy and create secure, long-term jobs
- creating a diverse, productive and sustainable economy for a fairer Queensland
- enabling the development of public and private infrastructure projects that provide enduring benefits
- creating well-planned Queensland communities that are prosperous, resilient and sustainable.
Our values that guide our behavior and the way we do business, are:
- customers first
- ideas into action
- unleash potential
- be courageous
- empower people.
Your team – Economic Advisory
Economic and Infrastructure Strategy
- Lead a coordinated and strategic approach to Queensland’s medium to long-term economic development by developing an economic strategy for Queensland,
- encompassing regional and infrastructure strategies and industry roadmaps.
- Work across the department to harness the value of the department’s economic development levers to create a strategy that can deliver on the department’s vision.
- Work with federal, state and local public sector organisations to promote and influence investment planning and decision-making to align with the strategy.
Economic Advisory Unit brings together economics qualified professionals skilled in economic research, economic modeling, and add rigor to economic development within the group, agency and across government. Economic Advisory’s role is to:
- Inform the development of the strategy through research and analysis of macro-economic trends
- and data.
- Undertake best practice economic research and economic modelling and provide economic advice.
- Provide economic analysis and input to inform the development of regional and economic strategies for Queensland.
- Help department and ministers to make evidence-based decisions based on sound economic data and analysis and decision-making.
- Inform economic and industry policy and strategy development.
- Undertake economic and industry monitoring and reporting.
- Undertake economic research and analysis about the Queensland economy, regional and industry development using robust quantitative and qualitative economic tools and techniques including economic impact analysis, cost benefit analysis, cost-effective analysis and other appropriate methodologies to support the Department’s priorities.
- Proficiency in economic data analysis using appropriate quantitative tools and techniques in MS Excel.
- Through collaborative relationships with other teams across the division, within the department and other agencies ensure that economic development policies, major projects, and other government decisions involving significant business proposals, are informed by use of economic modelling and/or other analytical tools, as appropriate.
- Support the development of strategic industry assessments, and regional economic analyses to address economic development threats and opportunities.
- Build, foster and maintain strategic networks and consultative relationships within the agency, across government and with key stakeholders.
- Support an environment that values collaboration, performance, and innovation in the delivery of high quality services.
- Actively contribute and support economic policy and research initiatives and change strategies to enhance positive and constructive work culture.
You will be assessed on your capability and capacity for the following in the context of the accountabilities above.
- Supports strategic direction
- Undertakes analyses and draws accurate conclusions based on evidence
- Identifies problems and works to resolve them
- Thinks laterally, identifies and implements improved work practices
- Achieves results
- Works within agreed priorities and commits to achieving quality outcomes and adheres to documentation procedures that achieve outcomes for the business unit
- Contributes own expertise to achieve outcomes for the business unit
- Sees tasks through to completion and works within agreed timeframes
- Supports productive working relationships
- Builds and sustains positive relationships with team members and clients. Is responsive to changes in client needs and expectations
- Operates as an effective member of the team and works collaboratively
- Displays personal drive and integrity
- Provides accurate advice on issues and focuses on achieving objectives even in difficult circumstances
- Shows initiative and does what is required. Commits energy and drive to see that goals are achieved.
- Adopts a principled approach and adheres to public service values and code of Conduct.
- Communicates with influence
- Confidently presents messages in a clear, concise manner and structures written and oral communication to ensure clarity
- Listens to, and considers different ideas and discusses issues credibly and thoughtfully.
Your working life
You will join a dynamic team environment where your work will give you exposure to a variety of innovative projects and initiatives strategically aligned to our objectives. Your employment experience will include:
- competitive salary and benefits (including up to 12.75 per cent superannuation contributions by the department)
- generous leave entitlements
- a range of salary packaging options
- opportunities for professional development
- programs that support a healthy work environment (e.g. flu shots, health seminars and employee assistance program)
- flexible work hours and work arrangements (where it does not conflict with operational requirements)
- a state-of-the-art, modern workspace that supports and improves information sharing, stakeholder engagement, collaboration and productivity.