- Our Difference
- Our Recruitment Process
- Executive & Boards
- Projects & Operations
- Screening & Assessment
- Case Studies
- HR Solutions
- Job Seekers
- Contact Us
- BSA Recruitment
Organisational Design: Alex Fraser Group
Alex Fraser is Australia’s leading producer of sustainable construction materials. Employing 260 people, they produce recycled aggregates, asphalt, road base and sand.
The company was founded in 1879 and has grown to a company with eight state-of-the-art facilities across three states. It was acquired by Swire in 2006.
Following the development of a Strategic Plan for 2015-2020, it was identified that a number of factors were putting pressure on their current organisation design and capability.
The future organisation design needed to enable the strategy by supporting implementation of best practice, closing capability gaps in strategic areas and transforming the finance function from a transactional focus to a provider of commercial insights.
How we helped them enhance workplace performance:
We assisted Alex Fraser in developing an organisational design that supported their strategic plan. This process included:
- Workshops and interviews at facilities
- Creation of Design Tests to be applied to any proposed structure before proceeding. These tests considered the latest organisational design theory as well as Alex Fraser’s culture and business environment
- Development of several design alternatives with key recommendations
- A change communication template to assist senior leaders to communicate in a consistent way
- Post-implementation interviews at facilities to test the effectiveness of changes.
Alex Fraser rolled out the first phase of the new organisation design just prior to a planned employee engagement survey. The survey results validated the disciplined approach Alex Fraser and Davidson took to the organisational design, implementation and communications. The overall engagement result placed Alex Fraser in the top quartile of their sector benchmark. Key outcomes included:
- Alex Fraser performed high in both alignment and engagement when compared to others in their sector;
- Six of the seven factors of alignment performed highly and within the top quartile;
- They ranked well in key areas such as customer orientation, people focus, care and respect for staff and their safety index;
- The results showed support for the senior leadership approach and employees reported a connection with and pride in working at Alex Fraser; and
- Over 70 per cent of respondents said they intended on staying for six years or more.
“The results tell us we are on the right track and I’m very grateful to Davidson for providing us with this high level of support. They didn’t provide a ‘cookie-cutter’ approach, but rather a flexible approach that was unique to our objectives and group. Their work was a great combination of some very capable individuals and a good structure.” – Group Manager Human Resources Jeff Burns